Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bits and Pieces for 02.21.2010

Welcome!  Thanks for taking a few minutes to check out my blog!

WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED THIS WEEK!

JK'S THEATRESCENE UPGRADES

You might have noticed that little by little, I have tweaked the old blog to keep it fresh and easier (I hope) to manage.  I really want to call your attention to two new aspects.  First, you'll notice at the top, just above today's blog, there are page links.  Clicking on those will give you a separate place to look for specific topics, rather than having to scroll around the archives.  For example, one click on "Reviews" will give a list (and link) of each show, book, CD and DVD I've reviewed;  one click on "Broadway Boys" will give you a list (and link) of each hot guy chosen to represent the New York theatre scene each month.

Secondly, and sort of related to this first thing, you'll see a link to a page called "About JK's Store."  There I explain in detail why I have chosen to advertise hand selected items from Amazon.com for you to purchase.  Mostly, it goes like this:  you cick on the store link directly from this site, and buy an item or two from my store.  My account gets credit for your purchase, and every time I earn $10.00, I get a check from Amazon.com.  But I'm not going to keep the cash, I am going to donate each check to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.  Please be sure to check it out, and buy something!  You get the same great price you'd get, anyway, and a great charity gest much needed money.  Thank you in advance for even considering it.

HAIR RE-CAST


Did ANYONE from that publicity stunt non-Equity casting call that made national news even get cast?  The cast looks interesting, I guess.  I'm surprised at the number of tribe members NOT going to London (including Vanessa Ray, above), and I'm not surprised that we are getting more American Idol rehashing in Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young, though to be fair, at least they are attempting actual Broadway careers.  Good for them.  I guess showing off his pale little ass in Spring Awakening was enough nudity for Kyle Riabko; as the new Claude, he is the one tribe member not to go the full monty.

Smartly, the Hair  people are revamping the ad campaign for the show with the new cast coming in.  Here is a link to a sneak peek from Broadway.com.  Notice the quick look at the mock ups for the new print ads...they do look nice.

BLIND ITEM: NEXT TO NORMAL UNDERSTUDY ALERT


UNCONFIRMED RUMOR:  Looks like Alice Ripley will be taking a short vacation starting March 12 and through March 21.  I hear her understudy, Jessica Phillips (above) will be on for the role of Diana for all of those dates, except the matinees on the 13th & 14th.  (You might ask the box office to confirm, as this is a well-sourced rumor.  Who goes on each night is never set in stone until the curtain goes up.)  Several months ago, I had the great fortune of seeing Ms. Phillips in the role, and she is simply amazing, and completely different in her approach to the role than Alice.  If you are a fan of the show, and/or want to see a star in the making, get tickets and see Jessica.  I hope to do just that myself, and if I do, of course, I'll write about it!  If you go, let us know what you think!

BROADWAY BY THE NUMBERS


  • Today, February 21, Disney's The Lion King will pass RENT and become Broadway's 8th longest running show in history.  This will be performance number 5,124.
  • It was announced this week that Lincoln Center Theater's production of South Pacific (above) will close on August 22, 2010 after 1,000 performances.  This revival is the longest running of any Rodgers and Hammerstein revival.  The original production ran nearly twice as long, though, with 1,925 performances.  The revival will take its place on the long run list between The Will Rogers Follies - 983 performances and Big River: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - 1005 performances.

And Happy Birthday this past week to:

02/14: Florence Henderson (Broadway Bound again!)
02/15: Christopher McDonald
02/16: John Tartaglia
02/17: Barry Humphries
02/18: Christopher Sieber
02/19: Hugh Panaro
02/20: Sandy Duncan





Comments?  Leave one here or email me at jkstheatrescene@yahoo.com.
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...