Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bits and Pieces for 04.11.10

Don't forget to check out "Broadway Theatres" above, and read over the "re-naming theatres" blogs before you cast your vote in this month's poll!


 
REASON #3,214 WHY I WISH I LIVED IN NEW YORK
The CD signing of the new cast recording of A Little Night Music featured not only the stars of the show, but Mr. Stephen Sondheim himself!  UGH!  Why can't I live in New York City?

 
OK, whining over.  Back to our regularly scheduled blog...


COMING SOON: CHICAGO'S NEW ROXIE ROCKS!
It is only for a short time - April 26 - June13 - but London/Broadway diva Ruthie Henshall returns to Chicago in New York.  This time, however, she'll be playing the role that she originated in the West End version of the revival, Roxie Hart.  Fans of the show will remember that she played the Broadway version at the Shubert Theatre as Velma Kelly opposite the best Roxie I've seen to date - Sandy Duncan.  Henshall was luminous then, and I look forward to seeing what she does with the this role this time around.

 
OK, so I don't live in NYC, but I do get there a lot and I saw Sandy and Ruthie.  Stop complaining, Jeffrey!


WHO'S NEXT? JOHN GALLAGHER, JR.?
I think Brian Stokes Mitchell is a wonderful, talented actor with a tremendous range.  I loved him in Kiss of the Spider Woman and Ragtime. And I hear he was great in Kiss Me, Kate and  Man of La Mancha.  But at his still relatively young age, isn't he kinda young to getting a lifetime acheivement award from some LA critics group?  I mean, yes, his career in TV started in the late 70's, and 30 years doing show business is a long time.  But I hope he has a lot more time to offer up his talents to the world at large!Still, Congratulations, Brian!  May you still have a whole lifetime of great shows ahead of you.


 
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN/LOVE NEVER DIES CONFLICT?
Hmmm... the same week that Love Never Dies, directed by Jack O'Brien and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, announces it will postpone until Spring 2011, Catch Me If You Can, directed by Jack O'Brien and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, will now open on Broadway in Spring of 2011.  Is it me, or does this not bode well for the Phantom sequel?  I'm just saying, it will be undergoing major changes... can the pair be in two places at once and get two shows up at the same time?  Or is one show not really going to happen?  Or are they parting ways with LND?  It sounds a little fishy to me...


BROADWAY BY THE NUMBERS
  • 1: The number of performances left of Looped.  Come back soon, Rhoda!
  • 2: The number of performances cancelled this week of Jersey Boys, all due to an electrical fire near 52nd Street
  • 6: The number of emails I have received (so far) berating me for not really liking Jersey Boys, "one of the greatest musicals ever written."  Silly me.  How could I be so ungrateful for the opportunity to see such greatness?
  • 50/50: the chances Love Never Dies lives long enough to get to New York

 
Happy Birthday last week to:
4/4: the late Laurie Beechman
4/5: the late Bette Davis
4/6: Paul Rudd
4/7: Jeff Brooks
4/8: John Schneider
4/9: Cynthia Nixon
4/10: Laura Bell Bundy

 

 




Comments?  Leave one here or email me at jkstheatrescene@yahoo.com.
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...