Thursday, August 19, 2010

Broadway Game: He Sang, She Sang (Part II)

Yesterday, I presented you with the first 20 quotes from Broadway musicals where the lines are sung dialogue.  To go to the first 20, click here.

In making this list, I narrowed it down to 40, and present the last 20 to you today. And in recognition of those of you who have written to tell me my games are too easy or too hard, we can do this one by level.

Beginners: name the show it comes from.
Intermediates: name the song title AND the show it came from.
Experts (which wouldn't even include me had I not made the list myself): name the show, the song title AND who is singing to whom!


Example: "There's the eternal paradox: look at what we're seein'... Is he gay?...Or European?" - Legally Blonde: The Musical, Callahan to the Defense Team, "There! Right There!"

Really, all of these are difficult out of context, but where possible, I included significant clues from the lines I picked. Finally, they are arranged on the list in alphabetical order by the title of the show they came from. (The, A or An as the first word? I alphabetized by the second word.)  This list runs from L - Z (not every letter is used, others more than once.)

Good luck! And please send me suggestions for the next round... Look for the answers in "Bits and Pieces for 08.29.10"




21. “Welcome, M’sieur. Sit yourself down, and meet the best innkeeper in town.”
22. “I’m both prim and proper and never too stern, well-educated, yet willing to learn.”
23. “The danger is deep that you wanna put her in. I don’t care about you, but she’s my sister!”
24. “You could be left behind! Saigon is falling apart, and you’d better be here!”
25. “Sir, I don’t much like your tone – that supercilious sneer you wear!”
26. “You know that’s not true. You’re our little pride and joy – our perfect plan…”
27. “I’m so happy, I’m afraid I’ll die here in your arms. What would you do if I died like this-right now, here in your arms?”
28. “It’s nothing. They turned off my heat, and I’m just a little weak on my feet.”
29. “God, when did man lose his reason? Save us, my God, if you’re there!”
30. “Then have no doubt about it. We’ll have the grandest garden ever seen.”




31. “Isn't that a beautiful sky? What a perfect sample of summer weather! It's too nice a day to be indoors counting out change. What a waste of holiday weather!”
32. “Listen up, puppet! We spend our whole lives wishing we weren’t so freaking strange. They made us feel that way, but it’s they who need to change.”
33. “I read one of your stories. Wasn’t it Scribner’s? Some magazine… Title…something with Windows…” 
34. “Wait! What’s your rush? What’s your hurry?”
35. “My eyes are fully open to my awful situation. So I’m writing you this letter…”
36. “Better hope your pennies add up to the fee…”
37. “It’s a boy, Mrs. Walker, it’s a boy!” 
38. “The trouble with schools is they always try to teach the wrong lesson.”
39. “Welcome to my party! Who the hell invited you?”
40. “You have to believe we are magic. Nothing can stand in our way!”

Please send your quotes and other suggestions for future games to me!



Comments?  Leave one here, email me at Yahoo, Tweet me or Formspring me!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...