Wednesday, October 8, 2014

FAREWELL: Marian Seldes


There was a delightful theatricality about the way everything Marian Seldes did.

Obviously, she was brilliant on stage. And she was a real trouper - she never missed a single performance of Deathtrap (all 1,799 of them!).  I had the privilege of seeing her in what would be her last Broadway show, Deuce. In the play, she was sharp. feisty and dignified.  I always imagined that she was just like that in real life.

A couple of years later, on a sunny day on 45th Street, she walked past me, whistling and carrying an umbrella.  We smiled at each other.  I'll never forget it.  My suspicions were confirmed.

Perhaps the best tribute I could give her now would be to emulate her humorous and eloquent acceptance speech for her 2010 Lifetime Achievement Tony Award.  She smiled, put her hand over her heart and said nothing before exiting the stage.

Ms. Seldes, the stage is all yours.


Jeff
6.019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...